Concentric Contraction Examples
Concentric contraction is when the muscle produces tension while it’s decreasing in size.
– When you are pulling yourself up by doing a chin up, your biceps are contracting concentrically;
– When you are pushing yourself up during a push up, your chest is again contracting concentrically; and
– When you are pushing yourself up during a pistol squat, your quadriceps are once again performing a concentric contraction.
Eccentric Contraction Examples
10 Best Exercises For Weight Loss On Stomach Photo Gallery
Eccentric tension occurs when, as we said previously, the muscle decreases in size. In eccentric contraction our muscles are used as brakes so that we have better control over the movement.
– When you are lowering your body down from the top point of a chin up, your biceps act like brakes to control the movement and make it smoother;
– When you are lowering yourself down during a push up, your triceps are performing a concentric contraction.
Isometric tension happens when the muscle produces tension while the joints around it remain in a fixed position. Whenever you are flexing your guns (biceps) in pride, while keeping your elbows steady, you are performing an isometric contraction. Isometric contraction is used mainly for stability and balance purposes. Here are some more examples of isometric contractions:
– If you pull yourself up in a chin up and remain at the top position, your biceps are contracting isometrically;
– If you remain on the top or bottom position of a push-up, your triceps are again contracting isometrically; and
– If you stand on the tip of your toes on one leg, your calf muscle is contracting isometrically.
Don’t worry if you are still struggling to fully understand the differences between these contractions, its completely normal. Add a bookmark on this page and refer to it whenever you stumble upon these terms in the remainder of the text. As you read more examples in this book, you will gain a better understanding of them.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- THOSE BROWS! THAT HAIR! THOSE LIPS! THAT SKIN!
- The go-to For Mothers-of-The Bride Seeking Style and Comfort
- Deliciously Healthy NUTS FOR DOUGHNUTS
- 4 Best Workout Leggings and Tights
- HOW TO CREATE THE EXCITEMENT OF AN AFFAIR IN YOUR RELATIONSHIP