An elaborate and beautiful dish to serve at a party, this recipe reduces Pitta and Vata and increases Kapha (although it is nourishing for Kapha). The delight is in savoring a variety of stimulating flavors and exotic color combinations. By preparing groups of ingredients separately, the tastes remain distinct from one another even after they are finally combined just before serving. A little of every taste is represented, but it is mostly sweet in taste and heavy and oily in quality.
Serves 4 to 6 generously
1 cup Marinated Tofu (recipe follows)
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflorets
4 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 large sweet pimiento pepper, cut in bite-size pieces 18-ounce can artichoke hearts, not marinated, quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil or other cooking oil i tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander i teaspoon ground cardamom 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste 1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup sliced bright orange dried apricots 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates
6 cups cooked couscous or rice 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
1. Drain the tofu. Steam the broccoli and cauliflower for 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in a wok or a heavy frying pan over moderately high heat and saute the tofu cubes until they are lighdy browned, about 10 minutes. Set the browned tofu aside in a large bowl. In the same pan heat the remaining 1 tablespoon ghee over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and stir until they begin to turn brown and start popping.
3. Immediately add the pepper pieces and the artichoke hearts. Saute for 2 minutes, tossing to cover the vegetables with the sesame seeds. Then gently mix the peppers and artichoke hearts in with the tofu. Set aside and cover.
4. Again in the same pan heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Then add the turmeric, the coriander, the cardamom, and die salt. Stir until any turmeric lumps disappear. Then slowly stir in 1/2 cup warm water. This makes a bright gold sauce.
5. Add the steamed broccoli and cauliflower to the sauce. Stir until the cauliflower is uniformly golden, then add the apricots and the dates. Add more water as needed to keep the sauce from drying out. Simmer over low heat for another minute, stirring frequently. Then gently fold in the tofu cubes and stir-fry another minute or 2 until they are dark brown. Arrange on a bed of steaming couscous or rice and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
6. If you are not serving it immediately, cover the platter tightly and keep it warm in a I75°F. oven.
7. To prepare this dish for a celebration or a large party, allow V1 cup tofu and 1/2 cup vegetables per person. For an authentic ethnic touch, serve with Little Flat Breads or pita bread.
Moroccan Delight Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Homestyle Chips Recipes
- Where to Find Tropical Fruits
- HOW TO DINE ALONE
- HOW TO MAKE A VICTORIA SPONGE
- HOW TO ROLL A BURRITO OR FAJITA