You don’t need to be depressed in order to act to improve your mood and motivation: many herbs are gentle mood enhancers suitable for people whose enthusiasm for life is not as strong as it used to be. I strongly believe that the natural state of mind is contentment. Of course there are objective reasons why we become unhappy – for example illness, job or relationship stress, or money worries – but there are also many other reasons, often unappreciated by the unhappy individual, such as lack of exercise, the way one lives and eats, lack of contact with nature, no hobbies or interests, and fixed attitudes as to what constitutes happiness.
NATURAL & HERBAL REMEDIES FOR FEEL MOTIVATED AND HAPPY CAUSES OF UNHAPPINESS Photo Gallery
Sometimes, however, we become dissatisfied with life for no apparent reason. Our zest for life diminishes and we don’t feel like doing anything.
long-term versus short-term treatment
If you are in the former category you will need to look carefully at your life and change those things that influence your mood negatively.
You can resort to the herbs described below while trying to sort things out. You may need to use these herbs for a longer period of time (two to six months).
If you are in the latter category, a short course of treatment (a few days to a couple of weeks) with some of the herbs described below should restore your former enthusiasm for life. Once you feel happier, you won’t need the herbs any more. The herbs should put you in the right frame of mind, and once that is achieved it should be a self-perpetuating state.
THE HERBS TO CHOOSE FROM
• Ashwaganda (see post 153): this herb puts the mind in a positive frame and improves motivation.
• Rose (see post 85), damiana (see post 139), vervain (see post 55): these herbs are gentle mood improvers.
• Oats (see post 84): a restorative herb for the nervous system
• Ginkgo (see post 36), ginger (see post 52), hawthorn (see post 37): circulation improvers.
HERBAL STRATEGY TO IMPROVE YOUR FEELING OF WELL-BEING
• Take ashwaganda as a choice adaptogen herb.
• Add one or two mood improvers.
• Add oats if the problem has been a long-standing one.
• Add a circulatory herb (see post 10) if you don’t do much exercise – but try to introduce some exercise into your lifestyle.
The example mix in the box shows one of the possible combinations, but remember that this formula may not suit your individual situation.
EXAMPLE MIX FOR IMPROVING A SENSE OF WELL-BEING
• 20ml ginkgo (tincture strength 2:1) (for precautions see post 36)
• 20ml ashwaganda (tincture strength 1:1)
• 20ml oats (tincture strength 1:2)
• 20ml vervain (tincture strength 1:2)
• 20ml damiana (tincture strength 1:2) (for precautions see post 139) To make
• Mix ingredients together.
• Pour into a clean, dark glass bottle.
• Label with the contents and the date.
• Store at room temperature for up to a year.
Adults only: 5ml diluted with some water, 2-3 times a day.
Note: this mix is suitable for both short-and long-term use.
NATURAL & HERBAL REMEDIES FOR DEFY THE AGEING PROCESS
We all want to live long and enjoy good health. Herbs can greatly enhance your chances of slowing down or preventing many of the degenerative conditions so common in older people: heart disease, stroke, cancer, dementia and inflammatory diseases (respiratory or arthritic).
Of course, taking care of your body and mind in terms of good diet, regular exercise, keeping your weight down, avoiding stress and continuing mental activity are all vital. However, adding a few super-herbs (some of them being super-foods) to your health routine will substantially reduce the odds of a serious disease.
The following choice of herbs is for your own consideration, to be introduced on a daily basis if possible. Each of these herbs has merits in its own right and some of them may be more desirable than others in your particular situation; for instance, if there is a history of heart disease in your family you may consider taking garlic daily from the age of 30 onwards.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- HOW TO CREATE THE EXCITEMENT OF AN AFFAIR IN YOUR RELATIONSHIP
- WONDER WOMAN OF THE YEAR
- Grenfell was about people not politics
- AGE-PROOF YOUR SKIN
- Eat The Rainbow