A diet high in sugar is a high fat diet.
Beware of all products that contain fructose and particularly High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). Fructose makes you fat.
Be wary of products labelled ‘low fat'. They may not be quite what they seem. They may have a reduced fat content, but the fat has been replaced by.
Weight Loss Exercise Quick Photos
Click to Photo for Next Images of Weight Loss Exercise Quick
Sugar! Why? Because reducing fat content makes processed food taste bland. Adding sugar solves the problem and makes the food taste more palatable.
So beware! Low fat can mean high fat because fat has been substituted by sugar.
Sugar in excess is a toxin!
In the quantities sugar is being consumed today, it is a toxin. Here's are some reasons why.
1. When you consume fructose either as sugar or as high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), it doesn't stimulate an insulin response. The result? Your leptin level doesn't rise. Your hypothalamus isn't aware your energy stores are full. And you keep eating.
2. When you're hungry, the cells in your stomach produce a hormone called ghrelin. This is your hunger signal. When you eat glucose it suppresses ghrelin and you begin to feel less hungry. When you eat fructose it does the opposite. It doesn't suppress ghrelin. You continue to feel hungry, and you keep eating.
3. When there's too much fructose in your diet there is a good chance that, over time, it will damage your liver. This can lead to insulin liver resistance. When this happens your pancreas generates higher levels of insulin. More insulin, more fat. This leads to two other things:
A) Leptin resistance – this prevents your hypothalamus from seeing any leptin signals, and when this happens it thinks you're starving, and you keep eating.
B) It also affects your reward system. The consequence is a vicious cycle of continuous consumption, which can eventually lead to disease, to metabolic syndrome. More on your reward system later.
(Metabolic syndrome is a group of risk factors which include obesity, diabetes, lipid problems, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. )
4. The fat cells that fill up most from fructose consumption are visceral fat cells. Fructose is very efficient at building up toxic, pro-inflammatory visceral fat. This is the bad fat that collects round your internal organs, and also manifests itself as belly fat. Visceral fat is dangerous fat. It secretes pro-inflammatory hormones into your bloodstream which can lead to the increased risk of diseases such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer.
5. It was never intended that we drink our calories. Today we drink in excess of 25% of our calories. This is usually through sugary drinks, fruit juice and smoothies. The problem is that liquid sugar calories, glucose, fructose, and particularly high fructose corn syrup (HCFS), are not registered by the brain as food, so you don't compensate by eating less.